CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

29 July 2008

Are You Out Of Position?

I went to church on Sunday, and I hadn't been in a LONG time. And it was great to go. (I'll get into more of that stuff later). Some of you that went to Warner might know or recall Pastor Steven Holt speaking at chapel and State Campmeeting. I went to his church on Sunday. He didn't preach the sermon, but another pastor at the church, Vernon, did. And what he said was very meaningful to me and I wanted to share it. The sermons recently have been about Unity and Giving. And pastor Vernon talked about unity using the analogy of basketball. I will try to sum up most of what he said in the most simple way, without butchering it :)


When he was in high school, he played basketball and was primarily a rebounder because he was so tall, yet he was really skinny. His coach taught him that it's not about your size so much as it is using skill to be in the right position when the ball came down. When the ball comes down, if you have put yourself in the right spot, you will catch it.

Are you in position? He asked us. He explained that if you aren't in the correct position, someone behind you is there, ready to take your ball from you, waiting for you to mess up, to elbow check you, to smash their hands in your face, to get into your territory and into your zone. He went on and continued to ask us, Are you in position?

I have been thinking on that since Sunday. Am I in position? Am I on the court with God's team, or Satan's team? Who is right there behind me, waiting? And are they there waiting for me to mess up so they can steal my ball, or is someone there on my team, to support me and help me get the rebound?

I challenge you to think about whether or not you are in position. And if you aren't, maybe it is really simple to get into that correct position. Maybe it's just turning around, changing your steps, changing your mind and attitude and mental game. Sometimes we go along doing things the incorrect way because we don't want to listen to our coach or our teammates; we think we are playing right. But someone might be on our heels, right there, waiting to steal our ball, costing us the game in the end.

Don't lose the game. Get into position.

0 comments: