Gosh, it's been so long since I posted anything which is so foreign for me. I have had so much going on, but just haven't made the time to sit down and lay it all out. But it's time that I do. Too many amazing things are happening in my life!
I decided to go back to school. Yes I know what most of you are thinking: "MORE school?!" Well yes, those of you that know me know that I would stay in school forever if it was practical- I just love to learn. I am in now in school to get my CNA license. Certified Nurse's Assistant in case you aren't familiar. These are the aides that work under nurses in assisted living facilities, nursing homes, skilled care centers, hospitals, and home health care. I figure since I want to apply to grad school in the near future, getting my CNA license will be a good step that'll help me along in that direction. It will also get me into the nursing field, see if I do in fact enjoy the nursing role, and give me some experience working in a medical setting. So I chose a private school out near Gresham, and they have been great. I started February 3rd and did two weeks of classroom work. We went through a textbook, learned the theories, and then practiced in the on-site lab with classmates and mannequins. It was M-F from 8-4, and we just started clinicals this Monday and they last for another 2 weeks. Clinicals involve going into a facility, shadowing other CNAs, learning skills, and gaining patients to take care of and practice our skills on. At the end of these two weeks, I can take the Oregon State Board of Nursing exams to become licensed. Then I plan to go on for another 3 weeks to become CNA2 certified, which is Acute Care. This will allow me to work as a CNA in a hospital. So it's been a great experience so far! I have learned a lot, and enjoyed working with patients so far at the clinical site. I will be glad when it's over though because we have to report at 7am and it's quite a long day!
However, I do miss nannying for Caitlin. Her family has been great and allowed me this time off to go to school, and I plan on going back to nanny for them after I am done and while I am applying for jobs. They are such a great family and I feel so blessed to know them, trust them, and get to care for and love on their child. She really is like my own! (I know, I say that about all of my nanny kiddos, but it's true!) So I will look forward to that soon, maybe in March or April.
I have had a real change of heart and soul lately. I realized that by moving forward and doing this CNA stuff, it has really jump started my outlook on life. Not that it was horrible before, but I think it was a bit muddy. I was losing sight of the value of things. I was taking things for granted. I am so blessed to have these opportunities to learn and grow and expand my knowledge and life experiences. But more than anything, I am completely honored to be taking care of these elderly people, helping them in ways that they cannot help themselves. It hit me hard yesterday, the first day we were on the floor with the patients and actually talking to them and performing skills to help them. Just like the time I put into TIP, I just want to spread love and warmth to people, get to know them in a genuine way, and let them know that someone cares for them and is willing to go the extra mile for them. God has called me to so many things. And even if I get frustrated sometimes at the seeming lack of direction, I really am fortunate to have the faith and security in knowing that whatever I do, I am doing it for the glory of Him. Nothing else really matters to me.
And this is why I have true joy in my heart. My cup runneth over.

1 comments:
I'm so glad for you!! I miss working as a nurse, but it's for a fantastic reason!!! : )
Post a Comment